Tips from the Roofing Experts
The roofing referral you can trust. Quality roofing doesn’t cost you … it saves you.
Choosing North and West Vancouver Roofing Services: Tips from the Experts
Is the sky falling? Anxiety may be the first thing you feel when your home, commercial building, or strata’s roof needs repairs or replacement. A roof, after all, is a long-term commitment, and so many Vancouver roofers are vying for your business. When choosing the North Vancouver and West Vancouver roofing services that are right for you, we suggest considering the three C’s: Credentials, Credibility and Contract.
Everyone and his brother, it seems, thinks himself a roofer. Before you hire your buddy and his friends to fix or replace your roof, however, ask yourself: if the job’s not done right, or something goes wrong, who pays? A reputable roofer stands by his work, and has insurance coverage in case of accident, injury, or damage to your property. With an unlicensed roofer, you could be left holding the bag. That’s why it’s crucial to check credentials before you decide.
- Ask for referrals from your family and friends as well as real estate professionals and property managers. Whom do they recommend? Did the contractor do the job well and on time? Did they stay within budget?
- Ask for references. When you’ve narrowed your list to a few finalists, get names and contact information for previous clients, then call or write to everyone on the list. Ask how they like the roof they’ve got, and whether they’d hire the contractor again.
- Ask to see proof of licensing and bonding, liability insurance, and workers’ compensation. As the building’s owner, you might otherwise be held liable for any injuries or damage.
- Ask if the contractor is a member of a professional organization such as the Canadian Roofing Contractors’ Association or the Roofing Contractors’ Association of BC. Reputable Vancouver roofers will belong to one or both. These organizations have specific requirements for membership, and keep members up-to-date with trends and advances in technology and other aspects of the roofing profession.
- Does the contactor have a permanent place of business?
- Is the contractor knowledgeable about different types of roofing systems and materials? The North Vancouver and West Vancouver roofing services industry has seen tremendous changes in the last 10 years. Be sure to meet with your potential contractors in person to find out exactly what they propose for your project and your budget.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau and your local Home Builders Association for complaints.
Get everything in writing. Before asking for estimates, ask how much the contractors will charge for them. Estimates should be free of charge. Take notes when you talk and make sure written estimates include any oral promises the contractors might have made. Ask questions about each item, especially if there’s a price range or variation. Make sure the proposal specifies when the job will begin and end, how and when payment is expected, how property and landscape damage will be prevented and mitigated, and how cleanup will be handled.
Avoid working with contractors who demand the full fee up-front, before work begins. A deposit of one-third of the full amount is standard for Vancouver roofers, with the rest paid when the job is finished to your satisfaction. Get a signed copy of the final contract before work begins.
Check for warranties. Your contractor’s warranty and the manufacturer’s warranty are not the same. The manufacturer’s warranty only covers the materials used. The contractor’s warranty covers workmanship. Study the warranties carefully, looking for any provisions which might void them.
By minding the three C’s of choosing a roofing contractor, you’re sure to find North Vancouver and West Vancouver roofing services that are right for you and your project. With more than 30 years’ experience in the same North Shore location, an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, and full licensing, bonding, and warranted work, Heyes Roofing meets all of these criteria – and provides free North Vancouver and West Vancouver roofing estimates. Call for yours today!